Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Dentist







Today was Makenna's first trip to the dentist. I've been meaning to make her an appointment for a long time but as we all know time gets away from us and you all know the rest of the story. So we headed to her appointment which was at 3:30 and got in right on time which is a good thing when you are dealing with a very inpatient 5 year old. It was so funny the entire drive she kept asking me all kind of questions like what the dentist was going to do to her, how long would it take, would it hurt and on and on. So, I was glad we didn't have to sit in the waiting room for very long as she would have just been in a state of worry. Myra came out and called for "Makenna" and Makenna said "right here I am". She said "come on mom, lets get this show on the road" and away we went. Myra did such a great job with her telling her everything she was going to do and what all the tools were for, etc. The best part for Makenna was getting to pick out her own toothpaste flavor and which she decided on the cookie dough. She was such a trooper and even had x-rays taken. I was so very proud of her and how she was behaving like such a big girl. When she was all finished she got to pick out her own toothbrush, sticker, pencil, etc and got a little goody bag to take with her for doing such a great job on her first visit. When we were getting ready to leave she told Myra she wanted her to clean her teeth next time and I think that made Myra feel really good coming from a 5 year old little girl on her first visit.

On the way home Makenna told me that going to the dentist wasn't too bad and she was glad I got to say in the room with her. I told her I would always be there for her to make sure she is safe as that is the most important part of being a mommy.......just being there for your kids.

Until next time.......Maria

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Oh, she makes me laugh! I can just see her saying, "come on mom, lets get this show on the road!" I'm for sure coming over to help you find a good background this weekend.